What is Browser Hijacker?
Browser hijacker is a malware program that modify your computer’s browser setting by which the third party can redirected to websites that you don’t want to open. Most common form of browser hijacking is when abruptly a huge wave of pop-ups flashes on your computer screen, most of them offensive, shatter over your screen and you are bound to use CTRL-ALT-DEL. Mostly browser hijacker alter default home pages and search pages to those of their clients, who are paying for that service because the traffic it generates.
Symptoms of browser hijacker
- If you your home page has been altered and you’re not able to change it back, then your PC is affected with browser hijacker.
- If you are noticing that the performance of your PC is completely slowing down, then must be a malware, causing trouble by making your system slower.
- If you find a complete new set of bookmarks have been added to your browser, then it might be chance of being affected.
How does it spread?
- It might be installed as part of shareware or shareware program installation. Generally, the browser hijacker is mention in the software agreement and you don’t get it.
- It can also be installed without having knowledge of user, as the result of infected e-mail, a file, or a drive-by-download.
- From the websites that automatically install the browser hijacker. When you visit any less reputable website. Malicious files simply install in your PC without notifying you.
Few names of browser hijacker
If we try to make a list of browser hijacker, then there will be a huge no. of name list of browser hijacker. Here is a few of them:
- Babylon toolbar: it is a spyware program. It changes the browser homepage and set the search engine to isearch.babylon.com.
- Conduit search: it is usually identified as potentially unwanted programs (PUP). It hacks personal data from user and provide it to third party.
- Cool web search: if it is successfully installed in your PC, then it will change your browser homepage to coolwebsearch.com.
- Coupon server: it is come with freeware programs that can be downloaded from the internet by the users.
A few of browser hijacker can be easily eliminate by uninstalling the freeware they arose with, or by having a look on the list of installed programs in your computer panel, and uninstall them.
Another trick is that, restore your browser setting to the ones previous to the attack can also help to reduce the infection.
Install a reputable anti-spyware program, so that it can run in the background and can monitor the bad programs you are in contacted with. Scan your system at least once in a week to ensure that you don’t have malevolent program.